Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Steak and Kale – Paleo on a Budget




Ingredients:
• 1 bunch of Kale {a good sized one}
• 8oz of Mushrooms {at least}
• 1 Medium onion chopped
• 1 lb steak, cut up into bite size pieces
• A mug full of chicken stock
• Butter
• Salt, Pepper, Red Pepper Flakes, Dried Basil, Cumin
How To:
• Get butter + Onions in a pan.. to start sweating the onions {ok it really is a term for cooking but every time I type it I think of middle school when girls would look at guys and be like “I sweat you” and I burst out laughing…-sigh-}
• While they’re becoming friends, clean and chop your mushrooms, you can use whatever is on sale that day.. Baby portobellos were only $1.59 so I grabbed those! Then toss that into the pan
• I don’t buy steak tips unless they are stupidly cheap, so I got a piece of steak and cut it up.. {which is what you should be doing at this point}! Then add that in the pan, I added more butter at this point {steak + butter = amazing}
• While it’s all cooking, wash and get your Kale ready {just pull the leaves away from the stem and then break it up with my hand, but you could go ahead and chop it with a knife}.
• Add your kale into the pan, it’s going to look like a lot but it’ll shrink!
• Then add some chicken stock in, it totally depends on how much kale you have, you just want enough to create steam  { I was still feeling icky that day so I just drank the rest of the stock!}.
• Cover with either the lid or tin foil for a few minutes, stirring it occasionally until the Kale is soft and has wilted down.
• Add in spices {I added in only a dash of cumin, just to round out the flavors, totally optional though}, taste test and serve

No comments:

Post a Comment